Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Spanakopita" "Caprese" "Quesadillas"

Lots of quotes because this dish had several multicultural influences. This recipe about spanakopita pesto inspired me because I had a ton of spinach sitting around, and what's better with pesto than tomato and fresh mozarella? That said, I didn't want to put it all in a grilled caprese sandwich because bread felt too heavy, so I decided to go with tortillas instead. Phew, that's a long chain of thought. Anyway, the whole meal turned out delicious! I'm happy to have lots of leftover ingredients so I can make these again!


Pesto Ingredients (makes enough pesto to generously layer in ~5 quesadillas)
2 c. baby spinach leaves, packed
1/2 c. mint leaves, packed
3 Tbsp walnuts
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp lemon juice

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until combined. It's that simple!



For the quesadillas, I just heated up a lightly greased griddle, placed one tortilla on, smothered it in the pesto, the chopped some tomato and mozarella slices on top, and put another tortilla on. I absolutely LOVE the griddle for this sort of this. It's basically a big pan with no sides to worry about! Anyway also, I tried trader joe's handmade whole wheat tortillas, and they were incredible! I love that place! Also, next time, to go with the spinach, I'm going to try making these quesadillas with feta...mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment