Sunday, July 12, 2009

Chicken Marsala

We moved to a new house so I tried making something new, especially because we now have an awesome kitchen with gas burners. I decided to try a chicken marsala based off smitten kitchen's recipe. I thought I'd try using chicken thighs instead of breasts just to see what the changes were - I rather liked it, though there was a lot of fat to remove. I also only had white wine on hand so I used that instead of marsala - I'm not sure I liked that as much. The color definitely didn't turn out as great as with red wine.

Time: 0:45
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1.5lb boneless chicken thighs
salt & pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup white wine (or marsala, which would actually be chicken marsala :P)
1 cup chicken stock
8oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

1. If the chicken has skin/bone/fat on it, remove them as best you can. I left a little of the fat on and reduced the amount of oil used in the dish itself instead. Salt & pepper.
2. In a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken in batches on each side, then set aside on a dish.
3. In the same skillet (don't wash in between), cook the onions and mushroom until the released liquid has evaporated. Make sure not to burn the onions.
4. Add the wine and chicken stock and cook until there's about 1/2 cup liquid left. If you'd like, add some flour or corn starch to thicken the sauce.
5. Return the chicken to the skillet, removing any oil/grease that has dripped onto the plate. Simmer over medium low-heat until cooked thoroughly, turning once.
6. Serve with pasta or bread. Garnish with parsley if you like. The bread featured here is also home made and will be featured in another post some other time. :)

update 8/9/09: I found Marsala wine at Trader Joe's and tried it again - it's sooooo much better. :)

3 comments:

  1. mmm sounds good! I have a great recipe for a slightly creamier marsala sauce - it's much less healthy because you use half a cup of heavy cream (for 4 servings), but it's absolutely heavenly. and yeah, you really need marsala wine - it has a fabulous flavor that white wine doesn't.
    ps why do you and roshni like gas burners so much?? they're WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw recipes with cream also and made a point to avoid those. :P
    How are they weird? We have them at home, so I'm used to them. They're hotter and heat up faster = less time waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They scare me because I think I might light myself on fire...

    ReplyDelete