Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blueberry Muffins (part deux)

Well, after a summer of not cooking (and not blogging) I am back in Boston in my own kitchen and ready to cook non-stop and hopefully blog about it :)
I recently spent 10 days in Maine at my family's summer home, and while I was there I ate blueberries morning, noon, and night. Wild Maine blueberries are one of my favorite things in the entire world, and so when I drove back I basically filled my car with cartons of fresh blueberries. Since I've been home, basically everything I've eaten involves blueberries - I eat blueberries on my cereal in the morning, made blueberry pancakes and blueberry cake, and today I'm making blueberry muffins!

Whenever I make muffins I like to try a new recipe because I have yet to find my "perfect" muffin recipe. I looked for a recipe that had some kind of streusel/crumb topping, because I love having a topping on my muffins - I think it gives them more of a coffee shop feel, as opposed to a box of packaged muffins you could buy at the grocery store. Because of the buttery/sugary topping, these muffins work as well as a dessert as they do as a breakfast.

I used a highly rated recipezaar recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Awesome-Blueberry-Muffins-51997

Muffin batter:
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
dash of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries

Very simple easy instructions - Mix together dry ingredients, mix together wet ingredients, add oil/egg mixture to flour mixture, fold in blueberries. Fill greased muffin cups.

Topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup slightly softened butter
(and I also used about 1/4 cup brown sugar -- because brown sugar makes everything better)

Mix together, add a dash of cinnamon, sprinkle on top of muffins.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6-8 muffins.



Here are some pictures of the muffins. They were very yummy! I think if I made them again I would add more blueberries, but I like my muffins to be overloaded with fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment