Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

I like cauliflower best in or as soup; I don't really believe that there is another good way to have them. This is so easy to make, nutritious, pretty, and comforting - all in one!

Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, cut into flowerets or cubed
2 cups chicken stock (I used water & chicken bouillon, same thing)
salt & white pepper to taste
1 medium onion, sliced or diced
sprinkle of chives for garnish if desired

1. Sauté the onions.
2. Bring the chicken stock to boil, and add the cauliflower & onions. Boil until mostly cooked, about 5min. A little at a time, blend cauliflower, onions, and liquid base in blender. Return to pot until all the cauliflower has been nicely puréed. Season to taste. I really recommend using white pepper powder for this. You can use black if you want, but white looks and tastes better, in my opinion. Garnish with chives if desired.

Variations: Use milk instead of chicken stock. Add a little flour to thicken if it's too liquidy, or simmer a bit longer. Use roasted garlic instead of sautéed onions.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite way to eat cauliflower is stir fried! My mom makes it a lot at home, so I presume it's something Shanghainese-y. You cut it up into florets just like with broccoli, and then you stir fry it until tender, adding small amounts of water to help it steam with the lid on, and seasoning with salt as you go along. I like to add some ham or thinly sliced pork to it as well. Finally you make a cornstarch slurry and add it to get a thicker clear sauce that coats the cauliflower. Yummy! I just made this last weekend!

    ReplyDelete