Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baked Roughy with Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce

I cooked lunch for my mother on Mother's Day. My mom likes seafood and pasta with cream sauces, so I tried following this pan seared scallops with roasted red pepper sauce recipe. It was absolutely delicious, so when I came home and had to figure out what to cook for the week, I decided to make the sauce again and serve it up alongside some orange roughy I had in the freezer. I just happened to have green bell peppers instead of red, so I used those. I used dried basil and black pepper when making the sauce for my mom because that's what my parents had in their pantry. I happen to have oregano, paprika and white pepper at home, so that's what I used here. The original recipe calls for cayenne pepper - it's really up to you to use what spices you like/have on hand.

Time: 0:45
Serves: 1, with leftover sauce

Sauce
Ingredients
2 bell peppers
4oz light sour cream
salt, oregano, paprika to taste

1. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and core. Broil in top oven shelf for 15 minutes. The skin should blacken and become loose. Rotate the pan if needed to roast evenly.
2. Remove the peppers from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. This is important - you want to steam the peppers for 5-10 minutes to make peeling the skin off easier.
3. Peel the skin off the peppers. It should be very easy along the top and slightly more difficult along the edges - it's OK if some skin remains.
4. Purée the meat of the peppers along with the salt, oregano and paprika. Once it's a nice mush, add the sour cream and blend until smooth.

Fish
Ingredients
1 fillet orange roughy
1/4 medium onion, sliced
salt, white pepper, oregano to taste

1. While the pepper are roasting, season the roughy on both sides with salt, pepper, and whatever spices you enjoy with the fish. Oil the bottom of a pan and put the fish in it.
2. Lightly sauté the onion and place on top the fish.
3. While the peppers are steaming, heat the oven to 400F. Bake the fish in the middle shelf for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes at the touch of a fork.

Serve with some pasta, steamed veggies, whatever you like.

9/14/09 Update:
I tried this again with 1 red and 1 green bell pepper. It turned out a very interesting shade of orange, with flecks of red and green. I also sautéed some sliced onions and mushrooms, and added the sauce to that over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Instead of orange roughy, I baked a fresh-caught rockfish fillet with some slivered almonds. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment