Monday, August 10, 2009

Home-made Burritos


As anyone will tell you, burritos are pretty much my favorite meal ever. But till this experiment, I had never made burritos myself at home. I must say, I was quite satisfied with the results! Not quite the same as an authentic taqueria, but definitely a cheaper and slightly healthier alternative to eating out. I didn't get a picture of the filled burrito because, let's face it, I can't see a burrito without taking a bite right away :P

I stuffed my burrito-sized tortillas with the following ingredients: chicken, homemade "mexican" rice, black beans, homemade salsa, queso freso (from the cheese aisle of my safeway! i was impressed), and sour cream.


I like my salsa super-simple--I simply chopped together tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos, and stirred in some salt to taste. Some minced garlic would have been a nice addition as well.

For the rice, I sauteed some onions, added some chili powder and cumin, and then cooked some brown basmati rice in condensed tomato soup, the onions, and water. I've used this technique before, but with fresh tomatoes instead of tomato soup. The tomato soup gave a very strange flavor, so I'll stick with the fresh tomatoes (or even tomato paste or sauce) instead.

The chicken was really simple too--i just chopped a chicken breast into tiny cubes, and sauteed in oil with salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, and garlic.

I put each tortilla on a plate, covered it with a damp paper towel, and microwaved for 15 seconds before stuffing. That kept the tortillas soft and pliable. I couldn't really stuff the tortillas as much as they do at the taquerias, so my burritos turned out more like Taco Bell burritos than taqueria burritos. But still, delicious!

2 comments: