Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Heath Bar cookies

A couple weekends ago (I'm behind in my blogging!), I decided to try another recipe from my favorite baking blog, Lovin' From the Oven. Every recipe I've made from this blog has been FABULOUS (sometime I'll have to post about her Grandma's Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies which were a mega hit at a party I brought them to), so I was really excited to try her Heath Bar Cookies. I love, love, LOVE heath bar, and obviously I love cookies so I thought it would be a good combination. I followed the recipe as is on her blog, substituting 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 c white sugar instead of 3/4 cup of each (I LOVE brown sugar...I actually like to eat it just by itself, but maybe I shouldn't admit that). Anyway, I even followed her instructions to chill the dough for at least 45 minutes (I actually chilled it overnight) in order to stop the cookies from spreading out too much. Welllllll........despite all that, when I took my cookies out of the oven they were thinner than quarters!
Somehow I must have ended up with too high of a butter:flour ratio, which isn't too surprising since I tend to guestimate with my flour. However, despite the fact that they looked less than perfect, these cookies tasted AMAZING. Seriously. I. COULD. NOT. STOP. EATING. THEM. I mean, I have that problem with most food, but this was out of control. I guess it's not surprising; since when has too much butter ever made anything taste BAD?

Anyway here's the "recipe" I followed -- I'd guess I probably actually used slightly less than 2 c flour, so I'd use that if you like your cookies thin and buttery..if you like them normal, then you could try actually using measuring cups!

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 bag toffee pieces
4 Heath Bars, chopped

Beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir in toffee and Heath pieces. Chill for at least 45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

1 comment: