Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tindora Subzi

My favorite vegetables are tinora, which are also called tindola or giloda. They're like little cucumbers, except you cook them. I've never seen them in a non-Indian store, so I have no idea what you'd call them in English. But anyway, they don't have too much taste, but they have a really fun texture. I cook them the same way as the aloo gobi, but I omitted the black peppercorns and the chili. Just a note--if they're pink inside, they've gone bad! It's always sad when that happens :(

The whole gilodas:

At home we always slice them up lengthwise. My mom and I have decided that if they're chopped any other way, they just don't taste as good!


For some reason, we also always eat this subzi with sliced potatoes. Somehow the thin giloda slices with the wide potato slices make for a very fun experience :)

Best thing to eat these with: chapattis, or rotlis. These take a while to make and I haven't quite gotten used to our stove so I can't get the baking temperature just right, so I don't usually make them. But I hadn't seen good giloda in the store for a long time, so I figured I'd go all out.

The little balls of dough ready to be rolled:


And ready to be baked:


The finished product! Slathered in butter, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment