Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroons

For Father's Day, I decided to make my grandpa a sampler plate of desserts, so there will be a plethora of baked goods recipes from me forthcoming. My favorite I think are these - they were easy to make and turned out really well. I pretty much just followed this recipe. I decreased the amount of sugar and it turned out not sweet enough, so I dipped half in chocolate to sweeten it up, and it was fabulous. You could alternatively add an extra 1/2 Tbsp sugar, and it'll be sweet enough as a stand-alone.

Time: 0:30
Serves: 15

Ingredients
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
dash of salt
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
4oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour baking sheet.
2. Mix coconut flakes, sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in egg white and vanilla extract, making sure to mix well.
3. Using a 1/2 tablespoon spoon, drop little balls onto baking sheet. They'll be very uniform and pretty, and just the right size.
4. Bake 20 min or until tips start to brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet and let cool completely on plate. Resist eating them all immediately, as they are much better with chocolate.
5. Using a double boiler (or a smaller pot in a bigger one, which is what I did), melt the chocolate chips. With a pair of chopsticks, dip half a macaroon into the chocolate, being sure to coat the half uniformly. With a wooden spoon, wipe off excess chocolate.
6. Set on a plate covered with wax paper, and chill in fridge until chocolate hardens.

Alternatively, add 1Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and an extra Tbsp sugar and make chocolate coconut macaroons, which are also yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment