Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No-Knead Red Bean Paste Challah

Whilst browsing through food blogs one day, I got to Steamy Kitchen's post on No-Knead Nutella and Roasted Hazelnut Challah and knew my browsing was over. It looked seriously delicious, and I've never tried making a bread on my own w/o the aide of a bread machine, so a no-knead dough seemed like the perfect introduction.

I made a few changes though, given the material I had on hand. I don't really like honey (and therefore never have any on hand), so I substituted equal parts sugar for the honey, which I expect drastically reduced the sweetness. I also had 1/4 cup butter and didn't feel like opening another package, so I substituted a bit less than 1/4 cup olive oil (about 3 Tbsp). I also skipped the egg wash, and I have to say, I really like the way it turned out without it.

The biggest change was that I used red bean paste instead of Nutella, since I almost always have some on hand. I do in fact have some leftover dough and plan on trying another loaf tonight. After trying this, there's one thing I can say for sure - next time I swing by a bookstore, I've already ordered the book she got the recipe from, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have to say, I was skeptical about rising dough in a fridge and making such a large batch in one go, but I'm now convinced it's nothing short of brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment