Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Homemade Brownie That's Better than a Mix?

I have a confession: until today, I had never made brownies from scratch. This might be surprising, considering how much I love to bake, but I honestly believe that brownies from the best mixes (coughGhirardellicough) are darn near perfect, and growing up brownies were the only baked good that it was "acceptable" to make from a mix. When my boyfriend and I first met, he was SO skeptical of my boxed brownie mixes, but he quickly became a convert.
However, today we wanted to make brownies and didn't have any box mixed on hand - but we did have all the other necessary baking ingredients, so I decided to see if I could find a homemade brownie recipe that would stand up to my beloved mixes.



We tried this recipe for Killer K-A brownies, and although the batter tasted AMAZING, the final result was pretty disappointing. The flavor was good, but the brownies came out a bit crumbly and cake-y, as opposed to the fudgy brownies that we love so much! (I wondered if they would, with 4 eggs in the recipe!) My bf's comment was "I don't hate them." (But he still ate a lot, ha!)





The conclusion was that these brownies are definitely not better than from-a-mix brownies. Maybe if I find a recipe that's supposed to be super fudgy, I'll give it a try again some day, but for now I think Ill stick to my boxes!

3 comments:

  1. Its funny, I was just talking to Roshni about this and she mentioned your post. I too have almost always made brownies from a mix, except for twice. And then I went back to the mix today b/c I also thought my "from-scratch" brownies were too crumbly and not chewy enough for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever made brownies from mix... I might have to now just to see what all this fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Heman - let me know if you find a from scratch recipe that's not too crumbly!

    @Linda - let me know what you think if you try a mix! I recommend Ghirardelli Double Chocolate

    ReplyDelete